So I was sitting around the other day thinking about things, and was thinking of random smart things or good ideas that've come from musical lyrics or from ideas behind lyrics or whatever. So, I figured, why not make a list?
I present: 50 Things I Learned From Music. This isn't everything that I've learned from music, only 50 things that I thought of off the top of my head, admittedly while typing this. Also, this is in no particular order.
1. Sometimes a wall appears in your life, and even if it's with you for a long time, be it from child hood, or since your adult years, you have to find a way to overcome it. Only then can you get to the other side - Kansas, "The Wall"
2. Plenty of people trade the goal of doing their passions because it's their passion to doing their passion in order to get money/glory, or pick up a passion just to earn money. Don't lose sight of what your goals are, and keep grip of your dreams. - Survivor, "Eye of the Tiger"
3. Give love each day. Yes, "Give Love Each Day"
4. No one is ever smart, when it comes to the heart. Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, "Affairs of the Heart"
5. Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel. Even fabrications, whether they are fiction stories or a lie someone told, can have a degree of truth; but it's usually the fiction stories that have truth. Never take a story for being "Just a story". Dio, "Holy Diver"
6. Lonelieness is something we posess the power to give or take away.
7. If you take what someone said in a different way than they originally intended, it can lead to confusion. Sometimes you have to look at something like how they intended.
8. What one knows can be easily shown, sometimes all it takes is accepting presented facts and not trying to write them off.
6 - 8 Yes, "Starship Trooper"
9. Dream until your dreams come true. Aerosmith, "Dream On"
10. Even when someone is dying or on their last rope, and tore up on the inside, they could still be putting on a happy facade to keep the show going (Or as Freddie put it, "Inside my heart is breaking, my makeup may be flaking but my smile stays on"). Queen, "The Show Must Go On"
11. Make a little birdhouse in your soul. I've heard various interpretations of this one, but for me it means to keep a little inner light inside yourself, something that can keep you going or keep you happy, especially when the times of tough arrive. They Might Be Giants, "Birdhouse In Your Soul".
12. Fairytales of yesterday might grow old, but they will never die. Queen, "The Show Must Go On".
13. Even if you aren't Christian, you can't deny that Christian Mythology can be a good source to draw upon for things. Picked up on from songs such as "Let There Be Light" by Mike Oldfield and "Jerusalem" by Emerson, Lake, & Palmer.
14. Everything's clear, drifting in sound. The Pencils, "Love So Strange"
15. When everyone's pointing to multiple paths and asserting they're right, it's just as good as no one pointing at all; because at the end of the day, you still don't know where to go. Genesis, "The Chamber of 32 Doors"
16. Sometimes you just need "cover" from someone trying to push their ideals, thoughts, and other things on you. Because if you don't, you just might just end up watching helplessly as your dreams are destroyed and you go under. Mr. Big, "Take Cover"
17. Making everyone equal might sound like a good idea, but one should be careful, as it can turn out that those who pass the laws will make it so everyone will be equal all the time, never being able to rise or sink below. Rush, "The Trees".
18. While you have the freedom to make whatever music you want, it's possible to shatter one's own integrity in exchange for "glittering prizes" or as the result of "endless compromises". Rush, "The Spirit of Radio".
19. Never force someone to write a sequel when they don't want to. You'll either get something completely different from what you want, or they'll end up telling you to f'off in morse code. Mike Oldfield's career.
20. Live and learn. Crush 40, "Live and Learn".
21. There's a place that you dream you'll never find; hold on to what if. Crush 40, "Live and Learn".
22. Metal music can actually have some pretty awesome or powerful lyrics, as seen with Iron Savior's "March of Doom" or Dragonforce's "Through the Fire and Flames".
23. Everybody hurts, but don't give in and seek comfort with your friends and loved ones. R.E.M., "Everybody Hurts".
24. Don't make up rumors about people simply for publicity purposes. They'll write a biting song with a gallop rhythm about you. Heart, "Barracuda".
25. A man is something that's real, and it's much more than what you are; it's what you feel. Boston, "To Be A Man"
26. On a clear day you can see forever. Barbra Streisand
27. Love can become a lethal weapon to oneself, as it is possible to die of a broken heart or become more reckless since the death of a loved one means you have nothing to live for anymore. Honeymoon Suite, "Lethal Weapon"
28. Love can also become a lethal weapon in affairs of the heart. Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, "Affairs of the Heart".
29. If someone claims to be a wise man, they surely don't really know. Kansas, "Carry on Wayward Son".
30. Even if you are for God, or you doubt and challenge His word, God still considers you his child. Rick Wakeman, "Children of Mine".
31. There's no life that compares to one of pure imagination. Living there you'll be free, if you truly wish to be. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, "Pure Imagination".
32. Don't think that you can buy a child's happiness. It'll take more than that. The Beatles, "She's Leaving Home"
33. Televangelists may just be in it only for the money and status. Genesis, "Jesus He Knows Me"
34. Sometimes, it really is just love and miracles out of nowhere. Kansas, "Miracles Out of Nowhere"
35. They don't know who we be. DMX "Who We Be"
36. It's amazing what you'll find face to face. Daft Punk, "Face to Face".
37. Training might be hard, but if you keep at it, you'll get stronger, and one day you're gonna fly. That theme from "Rocky".
38. While traveling down your memories, you may encounter ghosts from times and dreams long forgotten. Daniel Fogelberg, "Ghosts"
39. Don't wish for death so quickly. While the afterlife may be a paradise, you might realize that it's too soon for you to be dead. Avenged Sevenfold, "Afterlife".
40. In the space of the heart is a place of no fear, with a feeling that you cannot engineer.
41. Fear is the mind killer.
40 - 41. Adam Freeland, "Mind Killer"
42. If we all come together instead of remaining separate because of our differences we can feel the benefit
43. Sometimes you just have to venture out into life instead of staying where it's safe; even if the odds are on the house, your number just might come up.
42 - 43. 10cc, "Feel the Benefit"
44. There's a man for every occasion, whether it be for peace, or war. Argent, "A Man For All Reasons".
45. Music can bring back the fondest of memories, and lovers. Boston, "Peace of Mind".
46. The media sells it, and you live the role. Ozzy Osbourne, "Crazy Train"
47. You have the key within yourself to open the door and achieve what you want. Just go for it. B'z, "ultra soul [english version]"
48. If something is holding you back, shout at it and tell it to back down and back off. Motley Crue, "Shout at the Devil"
49. It is possible to describe, in vivid detail, how things are. So much that even if you've never had a panic attack, you'll know how one feels. Dream Theater, "Panic Attack".
50. You'd be surprised at how much personal things go into music. From Queen's "The Show Must Go On" to Alter Ridge's "Blackbird", you can learn a lot about how someone is or their life from music.